Monday, June 27, 2011

10 + 5 = 13.1

The past 2 weekends allowed for a new race and a repeat race. 2 Saturday's ago I ran the Baltimore 10 miler and this past Sunday I ran the Baltimore Women's Classic 5K.

The Baltimore 10 miler is a race I have been looking forward to for almost a year now. It was one of the first races I cheered on the Loopers and I was excited to check this one off my list. However, I was completely unready for this race. I had put in my 2 weeks notice at work so things with life were kinda crazy. I was very thankful that Megan was not really ready either and was willing to take it slow with me. So at 6am Megan and Laura met us at the apt and we headed off to pick up Jen at her parents house. Then we all headed to the Baltimore Zoo parking lot. After a lot of traffic and Laura telling off a parking attendant we were headed to the start.
Once we got to the start and met up with everyone we said goodbye to those that were just cheering and got ready for the race. Megan and I kept up with our intervals for a while but by mile 5 the lack of shade, the heat, and humidity were really getting to us. So we slowed things down a bit. We still ran but we walked the hills (and in Baltimore there are a lot of hills). We did this until about mile 9 where we just walked until we decided to run to the finish line.
Personally, I liked the finishers premium, a fleece vest. I can add it to the rain coat I bought earlier this year at the company sale. I also won a trivia game on Facebook but I never did get my shirt. I've tried contacting them but I don't seem to get a response. So that sucks but the race was still pretty good. We ended up finishing in 2:28:00 (and change) which isn't my best time but given the circumstance is isn't too bad either.

So with as crazy as the 10 miler was, the Baltimore Women's Classic was even better. I signed up for the training group that was supposed to help you prepare to run the entire race without stopping. I had to miss the last training but all it all it was $20 well spent. My only goal for this race was to run the whole thing, no time goal in mind. The other great part to this race was that it was my mom's first race! I am so proud of her for getting out there and walking the whole thing with Katie and Kelly's Mom Pat. I knew I got my willpower from my mom and this proved it.
I ended up running all of the race except the first hill. I started running it but realized if I ran that hill I might not be able to run the whole time. I did finish it in 39:53 which is not a PR but I am proud of my accomplishment.

So now let the Goofy training begin! I have another 5K on Wednesday evening and I need to keep my schedule consistent. So here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment