Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Hills of Howard County

Not sure where to begin with this race recap. This race was very important to me mentally. This was my first half marathon by myself and I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it. I wasn't sure if I would end up walking most of it or going at it half-hearted. So I charged up my shuffle and hoped for the best. Jon was amazing and woke up to come and cheer me on, to be honest I was thankful to have someone there to drive me home!!

It wasn't a wave start so I decided to move to the back of the pack so as not to be run over or start to fast. I will say that even more obnoxious then the joggler (the guy that runs while juggling) is the jogroper (a guy who runs while jump roping). More than one did I contemplate tripping him or grabbing the rope! The first few miles were ok, I kept telling myself to hold back I was only at the beginning.
Then halfway through mile 4 I hit THE hill! Whoever designed this course was either insane or completely masochistic. More then once I looked in front of me and just said "What fresh hell is this"? I was also very thankful to find a waterstop with powerade! This race was like running hills in the Amazon Rainforest! Yet, somehow around mile 8 I found some energy and got back to my intervals and kept it until about mile 12.5 where I began the final climb to the finish. Amazingly enough I actually finished in 2:59:01 which is only 10 minutes off from my half PR. So given the crazy hills I am just glad that I finished without collapsing. So race 1 towards my half fanatic status is complete. Now onto race 2 this weekend in Williamsburg!!

No comments:

Post a Comment